Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Looking Back on 2014 and Towards 2015

2014 was an interesting year for me, lots of highs, and lots of lows. But in the end, I'd say it was a good year.

Firstly, my personal (non fitness) life continued on a trend that I like. I am still very close with the friends from high school that I really care about, I have a lot of wonderful friends at school, I did stand up comedy again and didn't suck this time, and I've just tried a bunch of new things. I'm really looking forward to what 2015 can bring for me. 

Now on a more fitness related note, this was a roller coaster year. I started my internship, which lead to a job, at CrossFit DoneRight in February and can't wait to get back there in a few weeks to start coaching those awesome members again. I got my CrossFit Level 1 as well as my USAW Level 1 certifications. I attended the Freestyle Movement Seminar with Carl Paoli. I found out I'll be a student presenter for the Southeast Collegiate Fitness Expo. And most importantly, I became more passionate and more confused about the fitness and strength and conditioning world. I say confused as well because I want to always be a little confused so that I'm always striving to learn more.

Regarding myself, this was actually a pretty injury-filled year for me. I messed up my hip 4 times in the span of 6 months which had be do no squatting for about 7 months, I had a freak accident at camp which messed up my shoulder and limited all pressing and pulling I could do for about 2 months, and tendinitis in my knees have been a constant battle. 

I have now switched to just training for the sport of weightlifting, and no longer doing CrossFit, and still doing some strength stuff because I still want to be strong and what not. I also got my own pair of weightlifting shoes which I absolutely love. With those, for the first time ever, I finished an entire training cycle with no injuries where I hit lifetime PR's in multiple lifts. 
My main numbers to end 2014 are as follows:
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 207# (94.09 kg)
Back Squat 1RM: 265# (12/12/14)
Front Squat 1RM: 225# (12/10/14)
Strict Press 1RM:
Snatch 1RM: 140# (12/26/14)
Clean 1RM: 185# (12/6/14)
Jerk 1RM: 190# (12/31/14)
Clean & Jerk 1RM: 170# (11/29/14)
Deadlift 1RM: 325# (12/15/14)
Max set of Strict Pullups: 10, done on multiple occasions. 

For 2015 I have 1 main personal goal and 3 career related goals.
I want to compete in my first Weightlifting Meet and record a total. I don't care if I win or come in last, all I want to do is compete for the first time and make sure that I record a total.

My 3 career goals are to rock this internship with Georgetown Strength and Conditioning that I (still not 100% confirmed, but mostly) will be starting when I get back to school. To get an internship for the summer at some strength and conditioning facility, and to get a full time internship for the fall which causes me to take the semester off of school and graduate next spring instead. 

Numbers that I'd like to achieve for the following year are as follows:
Back Squat 1RM: 300#, I may be able to hit more, but that is such a barrier in my mind that I want to crush
Front Squat 1RM: 255#, again I might be able to hit more, but I also want to maintain a good ratio between  my back squat and front squat at 85%
Strict Press 1RM: 165#, I am so weak overhead and don't expect rapid improvement, so if I can hit this I'll be ecstatic 
Snatch 1RM: 175#, Normally asking to improve 35# in a year is a lot to ask for a lifter, but I think I can do it because I am a beginner and this is my biggest weakness which I'm going to attack
Clean 1RM: 225#, again a huge jump, but if I can improve my front squat as much as I'd like, I think I can do this. It will be really hard though. 
Jerk 1RM: 225#, I want to keep these close so that hopefully I can put it all together in one lift.
Clean & Jerk 1RM: 215#, I want that body weight C&J, and while this may be a little over, I hope to gain a little bit of weight too. 
Deadlift 1RM: I don't actually have specific goals for this since I'm going to be training it so little. I'd say just keep it over 300# probably
Max set of Strict Pullups: Maintain 10. If I do gain weight, I want to make sure I keep this at 10. If my weight stays constant, then the goal will become 15. 

My last final goal for 2015, is to avoid injury, and still love what I'm doing. 

To a better day, week, month, year, and most importantly, to a better life.

No comments:

Post a Comment