Sunday, January 26, 2014

Going Back to Basics

A lot of athletes think that they need the most advanced programming out there to get them to whatever goal they have. If you want to just get strong, you might think that you need to go hardcore in the conjugate system or if you’re a CrossFitter you want to do whatever Rich Froning is doing, and that applies to all sports. People think they need the most advanced things ever. Admittedly I used to think that. I thought that if a beginner program was working then an advanced program would work even better and my results would sky rocket. Well, I was oh so very wrong. The key to making fast gains is to do the most basic thing possible, assuming it works, and ride it out as long as possible. If you can keep adding weight to the bar each week, DO IT! Keep adding weight and ride it out.

I feel like going back to basics can not only benefit those who are interested in fitness, but also those just in regular life. In so many situations people want to go to extremes to do something or use advanced techniques. It just isn’t worth it. The basic techniques are the foundation for everything we do. In everything we do, cooking, computer science, comedy, writing, everything. The basics are called the basics for a reason. You need to master them and use them up before it is worth moving on to the more advanced techniques.

YOU THERE! READER! Stop reading for a second and think about something that you do and like to do…..still thinking? Ok I’ll give you a second…..Done? Good! Whatever it was I’m sure that you had to master the basics before you move on to advanced techniques. If you haven’t then go do that, go master your basics.

In everything, going back to basics and truly mastering them is truly the key to advancing the best. Plus, mastering the basics will also allow you to advance the farthest in the shortest period of time. Going back to the basics is so important to do for everything.

That is why I am vowing to go back to the basics with my strength training. After testing the main lifts this past week, I have established a reliable 1 rep max for my front and back squat, my strict press, and my deadlift. What is the most basic strength “program” one can do? Linear Progression! I am going to start a linear progression program. I am going to take 70% of each of those and do 5x5 (3x5 for deadlift, I don’t need as high of volume for that, plus my back can’t always take it) at 70% the first week and I’m thinking I’ll add 5 pounds to my lifts each week (I'm considering doing the same weight for strict press for 2 weeks at a time because otherwise that is advancing very quickly, much faster than the rest of the lifts). Once I can’t do all 5 sets, I will attempt the same weights the next week just in case it may have been a fluke. Once I officially stall out at 5x5, I will then drop back to 75% and do 3x5 and do the same thing. Once I finally stall after all of that, then I will finally retest. I expect this to go on for about 12-14 weeks, and I am sure that my lifts will increase a pretty good amount. I don’t currently have plans for a strength cycle after that, but I actually think that is a good thing. It will all be based on how I feel.

In addition to those 4 main lifts, I am also going to try and get better at strict pull ups, eventually working on my weighted pull ups, but I think as of now it will be just strict. I am also going to work on dips. They are an incredible accessory movement that helps strengthen the deltoids, pecs and triceps very well. I will also work on my close-grip bench press, but not on a specific cycle, I’ll be treating it more as an accessory instead of as a main lift.

For my conditioning I plan to do mostly interval based conditioning. Whether it is running or rowing, or even doing every-minute-on-the-minute (EMOTM) training. It has less beating on the body than a traditional MetCon and I think will benefit me better while still allowing me to gain strength well.

As a kinesiology major at Maryland, we are also required to take an activity class, and this semester I am taking jogging. Based on everything I have heard regarding it, it is a traditional long-slow-distance based program taking place on Tuesdays and Thursdays. As such, I will try to also run on Saturdays then, but do those as intervals alternating long and short intervals. I’m hoping that the jogging class won’t impact the strength training too much.




I hope you all can look back and maybe see where you can advance by just picking the low hanging fruit. Good luck to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment