Monday, April 1, 2013

First post/some background

I have been putting this off for a while now. My mom has been pressing me to start a blog that I could maintain, and now that I have some time without too much homework, why not?

For those who don't know me, I'm a student at the University of Maryland, and I'm studying Kinesiology. I am also a certified personal trainer as well. I am in a fraternity and a comedy group, and outside of those two things, I'm pretty much at the gym doing one thing or another (I'm actually at the gym now writing this).

My fitness journey has been just that, a journey. I have gone through many sports, programs, ideals, beliefs, whatever; it has been a long journey for me to figure out what I think works for me, and where I hope to be.

First, I have to go back to when I was 6. I was an annoying little shit, and my dad finally told me that if I just were a normal human being that he'd take me to a Bears game when I was 7. Then I was a normal little kid and played youth league soccer, baseball, basketball, flag football; heck, I even did karate. I did everything. I actually excelled at soccer a little. I ended up playing club soccer for a few years, and that sparked my interest in soccer. What a beautiful and underrated sport. I was always a little overweight even through all of that.

Then I hit high school and I decided to try swimming and water polo. Thank god for swimming. I didn't lose any weight, but it just all redistributed and looked a lot better. I loved them both. Unfortunately I hurt my shoulder sophomore year swimming and had to sit out the season and most of the water polo season. I tried coming back junior year but it didn't work out, so I just did water polo, I liked it more anyway.

After high school, I got really into running and actually now do barefoot running (unfortunately I usually end up wearing my Vibram FiveFingers because of where it is that I'm running or working out).   I did a 5K at the end of that summer. If you are ever in Chicago at the end of a summer, do the Elvis is Alive 5K, it is so much fun.
I then spent a year in Israel before college where I ran a ton. I even did 2 10K's while there. Unfortunately, during the second one, I suffered a stress fracture in my 3rd metatarsal, and I was pretty much out of commission for 6 months because it wasn't officially diagnosed for 4 months and then I was in a boot for 2 months. After that I couldn't do anything lower body because I had to build back normal strength in my foot, so I just did basic upper body crap while I was working at my overnight camp.

Next, I come to school and I took a weightlifting class for my degree and did basic body building stuff because, quite frankly, I didn't know what else to do. Then, I came across a flier that there was a CrossFit club starting on campus, and quite frankly, my life has been changed ever since then (that wasn't supposed to be a stupid statement also, just that things actually have changed for me).

3 comments:

  1. LOL this is good ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete