Sunday, April 7, 2013

What winter break taught that will last forever

Normally when people are on breaks from school, they just use it as a mental break to relax and do whatever it is that they want to do. I didn't do anything like that. Yes, I did go home; Yes, I did see friends and enjoy myself, but winter break wasn't truly a mental break. I was taking a class online which took up more time than I thought it would, but I still did have time for myself.

My winter break consisted of doing work for my class, studying for my personal trainer certification exam, hanging out, and trying something completely knew, going to an actual CrossFit box (for those who don't know, for some reason CrossFit gyms are called boxes instead of gyms) (shout out to CrossFit Haven in Glenview IL, it's a great place to work out and learn, great people, great time).

My class was Motor Control and Learning, just a class that I'm required to take.
For my certification, maybe it was because when I'm bored I look up things about fitness and working out, or the fact that I'm a Kinesiology major, but the exam didn't seem to be too hard for me, then again I would have felt quite embarrassed had I not passed, so I probably ended up spending too much time studying for it. In the end, I did pass though which was good.

What I really learned though during this break, was about CrossFit (I don't mean for this blog to be only about CrossFit, it just happens to be what I do, however there are certainly merits to a lot of other strength and conditioning programs, it really just all depends on your goals and desires). There is so much you can learn online, but then actually being a part of a box is completely different. Ask most crossfitters that work out at a box what their favorite part of crossfit is, and I guarantee one of the top 3 things is the community; the community is something you really can't learn about online or understand if you're working out in your garage or at a globo gym, it's something that has to be experienced. The community is working out with like-minded people, working out with people who have similar goals to yours, it's something that can't really be put into words no matter how hard people try to do so. However, for me, after experiencing this, if even for only a month, it helped solidify for me why I want to keep CrossFit in my life for the all of the foreseeable future, both hoping to join a box full time after college, but also doing CrossFit on my own.
More of a side note, but I also learned different ways of programming and ideas of combining exercises for different time domains. I couldn't imagine some of the workouts that we ended up doing.

In the end though, I ended up learning how I now know what I want to keep in my life for the rest of my life, and I learned something about CrossFit that I couldn't really imagine until experiencing it. I'm glad I was home during the winter, and I'm glad I have something checked off for things I want to do for the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment