Saturday, April 20, 2013

Some issues I'm having

I think my feet are getting smaller. But actually. Recently I have noticed that when I'm rowing on an erg, especially at a high stroke rate, that my feet start to slide a little bit out of my Vibram FiveFingers (yea, I'm one of those guys that wears toe shoes). Then today, I was squatting and when I was getting close to max effort weights, I was sliding in my shoes again on my way up, making it a lot more difficult to squat. I have never heard of people's feet shrinking, at least this early in life. One of my friends suggested it might be from the fact that I'm exercising more than I used to, but that doesn't make sense to me. I mean I would run at least 30 miles a week last year, so I was still being incredibly active, I just wasn't weight training. Plus, I have high arches and since I'm in minimalist footwear, my arch should compress and lower thus lengthening my feet. I really have no idea what the cause of this is, but it is starting to freak me out. Plus, I really don't want to have to go and buy another pair of shoes while I have a perfectly good pair that I've had for a while now.

IF ANYONE KNOWS WHY MY FEET ARE SHRINKING, PLEASE INFORM ME!!!


Another thing that has been happening is that I've recently been stalling out a little bit on my squat, and to a certain extent, my deadlift as well. I am still increasing my capacity at submaximal loads, but I seem to be stalling out and not being able to increase or sometimes even maintain near maximal loads. For example, I recently did a squat workout of 6x2 at 95% of my 1RM, and I could only get through 3 sets before having to drop to 90%, and then even then, that was still quite tough, tougher than I thought it should have, especially because the 1RM is over a month old. I understand that the body needs to be stressed in order to adapt, and adaptation is the key when exercising, but I am starting to feel that I can't even stress my body as much as it needs to in order to adapt.
I'm not having as much trouble with my deadlift as with my squat, I really just have days where I'm feeling really good and can pull a lot, and then there are days where I can barely pull any weight (relatively) at all. For example, the other day, I set a new rep record at 82% of my 1RM, but I had trouble pulling at 86%, it's been really weird for me,

This has been incredibly frustrating for me because my focus is on gaining strength, and in 2/4 exercises that I focus on in strength, I'm barely able to see any gains. Even more frustrating is that on the overhead press and close grip bench press, I am seeing gains at a similar rate to when I first started lifting. That shouldn't be happening at all; when someone just starts lifting, there is so much inexperience that a person can make gains at every workout just because they are so behind where their body can be, but with me, I shouldn't be making gains like this, I mean I'm setting either a rep record or weight record every single workout. Yes, it is quite the confidence booster to keep me going, but I am almost in shock at the gains I'm making there, and then complete lack of gains in my squat and deadlift.

If anyone has any advice for how I can continue to increase my strength numbers since it seems I'm stalling out a little, that'd be great. I know that I don't have too much time left this semester (and then I'll be at camp, so I'm not exactly sure what I'll be able to do while I'm there) and then when I get back to school in the fall I'm going to commit to Wendler, but until then, the only thing I can think of is just increasing my capacity at submaximal loads and hope that can translate.

5 comments:

  1. OMG TALK ABOUT THE TIME YOU HAD TO WALK HOME FROM THE DINER CAUSE YOU ATE TOO MUCH. THAT SHIT IS GOLD. I WAS THERE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your shoes are stretching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, so I have thought about that. But from what I have found online, the upper material might stretch a little but not permanently, more to accommodate for wider feet. However, the sole, while flexible, is not supposed to actually stretch and lengthen, and that is part of the issue. I also would be surprised that it is all of a sudden since I have had them for almost 2 years now.

      Delete
  3. The sole, as it becomes more wet, loses traction against your foot. The shoe itself, as IT gets more wet (from sweat) loses its rigidity and becomes a little more elastic. Degradation over time has done something similar to an old pair I had. Seems like the absorbency properties change the more wet/dry cycles they go through. Is the sole peeling at all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sole is still intact just fine. And even more weird, I did heavy squats again, and I wasn't sliding at all. I'm even more weirded out by this because it was so extreme and is no longer an issue.
      I have yet to work at a high stroke rate on the erg, so I'm not yet sure regarding that.

      Delete